At every turn when there has been an imbalance of
power, the truth questioned,
or our beliefs and values distorted, the change
required to restore our nation has
from the bottom up, from our people.
-- Governor Howard Dean, MD
by the leadership of Howard Dean, San Francisco for Democracy is an inclusive
community committed to the values underlying our democracy equal opportunity,
civil rights, a healthy environment, fiscal responsibility, affordable health
care, quality education, and social justice for all Americans and peace and
security achieved through international cooperation.
purpose is to restore citizens ownership of our democracy by mobilizing
grassroots participation in the political process. San Francisco for Democracy
supports candidates and issues through a combination of education, fundraising,
community organizing, and direct action at the national, state and local
levels. San Francisco for Democracy works to ensure that elected officials are
held accountable to the electorate.
- We are a grassroots organization dedicated to civic engagement, volunteerism, voter education and participation, and progressive, hands-on activism.
- We help regular citizens get involved in public policy and political decisions and run for office themselves!
- We are non-partisan and unaffiliated with any political party. Were more interested in making progress than we are in checking labels.
- We are distressed by the growing power of corporate and wealthy interests in our political system, and aim to counterbalance that with extraordinary people power.
- We focus on the nuts and bolts of progressive civic activism and provide training and education.
- We actively use online as well as more traditional forms of outreach to share information with our members and the general public.
- We aim to be open and inclusive to people of all backgrounds, whether members of our organization or not, who support our mission and want to participate with us.
- We partner and work in coalition with other progressive groups.
doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the
it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Visit San Francisco for Democracy at www.sf4democracy.com
One of the penalties for refusing to
participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
How to Get Involved with San Francisco for Democracy
- Meetup! The first
Wednesday of every month is our Meetup, an informal gathering to discuss
political issues, learn about upcoming volunteer opportunities, and take
simple, effective action like writing to voters in swing states. Meetups are open to the public so bring
Check out the calendar of events (www.sf4democracy.com/calendar)
on our Website for upcoming volunteer opportunities for voter
registration, letter writing, phone banking, and canvassing to get out the
vote (GOTV), among others.
Corps! In addition to volunteering
on political campaigns, we participate in and organize community service projects such as
helping to feed people at Glide Memorial, cleaning up our beaches and
parks, and donating blood.
a committee! If you have some extra time
to give, join one of our working committees Administration,
Communications, Finance, Membership, Outreach and Voter Registration,
Political Affairs, Program by contacting the committee chair (www.sf4democracy.com/main/officers.asp).
In the United
States, only half of those eligible to vote do. Voter turnout is at an all time low. Important decisions about our national
security, the economy, health care, education, our civil rights, and our
environment are increasingly made by people who do not represent the interests
of most Americans. We can change this,
starting now. The future of our
democracy is at stake, so please, get involved at whatever level of
participation works best for you.
Remember, together, we have the power to take our country back!
San Francisco for Democracy
P.O. Box 194064
San Francisco, CA