Web address:

http://www.kristineforsupervisor.com

Anticipated Budget:

$143K plus contingency for increase in the cap

Funds raised to date:

$46.5K

Percentage of donations under $50

65% are $50 or less, 42% are $49 or less

Please write a brief response (less than 150 words) to each question. You will have additional opportunities to address these issues.

1. Why are you running? Why should we vote for you? I’m invested in my community, I care about the people who live here, and I want to help our district achieve our potential for being the most vibrant and prosperous part of San Francisco. My community experience has given me the specific knowledge to do this. I know as much about land use and more about the tools of Redevelopment than any other candidate. I know where we can change the Shipyard plans to make them work better for the people who live here now. I know which services the residents of public housing need to participate fully in the revitalization. I have a plan for strengthening our commercial corridors. And more than any other candidate, I have the connections, skills and independence to pull this off. We are stronger united than divided, and I am the candidate who can bring us together.

2. What sets you apart from your opponents? As chair of the Technical Committee of the Shipyard Restoration Advisory Board and administrator of the EPA’s Technical Assistance Grant, I have a deeper understanding of the environmental conditions in the Shipyard than any other candidate. I’ve served on the Bayview Project Area Committee for four years, giving me insight into the Redevelopment Agency and influence over their decisions. I have run three businesses of my own and worked for corporations large and small. I absorb new technology like a teenager. I’m a lawyer, award-winning author and documentary filmmaker with a unique ability to communicate our strengths to the rest of San Francisco. I live in Hunters Point. When my neighborhood successfully faced down powerful interests to landmarked the Shipwright’s Cottage, I brought together former opponents and united the community in support. According to records online as of June 30, I had more contributions from District 10 than any other candidate.

3. San Francisco for Democracy is committed to grassroots involvement. Please explain how you are involving ordinary citizens in your campaign? After interviewing several professional consultants, I decided to hire my neighbor and long-time neighborhood association board colleague to manage our campaign, and I hired a former colleague from the BVHP PAC to run our field efforts. Our design work is done by a local artist; her husband does our photography. Two friends from The Fillmore and I studied the campaign finance rules carefully and I’m pleased to say that our public financing request was approved without a hitch. Only volunteers participated in our signature drive. All but one of our events have been in-district, and all of our printed materials, including buttons, banners, postcards and flyers, were produced in-district. Our campaign is intimately informed by our unique part of San Francisco.

4. San Francisco for Democracy endorses fiscally responsible and socially progressive candidates. Please give examples of why you fit these criteria? I worked for a software company that went from startup to a $2B run rate faster than any other software company in history at that time. I was an integral part of that growth. I closed deals that literally brought in the cash to meet payroll. My private sector experience and a Masters in Business Administration keep me sober about budgets and projections, and I approach planning and policy decisions with a voice of reason. But I’m not a stuffy numbers person. I built my legal practice by being the lawyer you do want to put in front of clients. My friends and colleagues come from all walks of life, all ages, all colors, all orientations. I’ve been to Burning Man, twice. I support marriage equality. I don’t believe government should legislate personal choices that don’t harm anyone else.

5. What public safety strategies currently being implemented by the San Francisco Police department do you agree, or disagree with? What will be your agenda regarding public safety, if elected supervisor? I was pleased to see an increase in foot patrols and will fight for the funding to keep them. The Sergeant Liaison program implemented several years ago was tremendously effective in my neighborhood and I would like to see that strengthened. In District 10 specifically, we should find more ways for residents and officers to interact, especially given the amount of new officers in the force who are still learning the nuances of the district and which players can or can’t be trusted. Systemically, we need to invest in our children, which is acknowledged by a large and growing number of law enforcement officers to be the most effective and lasting approach to preventing crime – see http://www.fightcrime.org.

6. What do you believe is the correct percentage of units to be set aside for affordable housing, when property is redeveloped? Please explain why you believe that percentage is correct? I believe 15% is adequate. However, I believe strongly that we should not allow inclusionary requirements to be satisfied offsite. Academic research supports what we in District 10 know to be true: locating all of the affordable housing in one neighborhood simply creates a poverty trap, and leads to faster displacement than would occur by doing nothing. What low income communities need most is income. I would spend only the state-required portion of Redevelopment dollars on housing, and the largest amount possible on economic development and infrastructure. District 10, and Bayview/Vis Valley in particular, has plenty of housing that is affordable by Citywide standards – let’s make those parts of town more attractive to live in,

7. Public transportation is dysfunctional in the City and County of San Francisco. Do you agree with that statement? If not, why? If so, what is your analysis of why it is dysfunctional? What will you do to make public transportation functional if elected? We have a unique challenge in San Francisco: the cost of tunneling through bedrock makes it nearly impossible to create an underground transportation network. Yet we have a unique opportunity: water transit. With all the undeveloped waterfront in the City, District 10 can make a substantial contribution to alleviating congestion on San Francisco streets. I look forward to working with Lennar, the Port, and the Blue-Greenway team to make this exciting vision a reality.

8. What do you view as the top three issues in District 10? What are your solutions for these issues? Do you believe these issues are consistent throughout the city? If they are not consistent, what do you view as the issues outside your district that should be addressed in the coming years? Do you have solutions for those issues?

My priorities in District 10 are:

Safe neighborhoods – Through community policing, crime prevention efforts, and economic and educational opportunity, we can break the cycle of violence that drives people out of town and decimates our commercial corridors.

Strong schools – Neighborhood school assignment is good for those neighborhoods that have schools. Right now, we are closing schools in District 10 with no plans to replace them. Redevelopment can play a role in reducing the cost of opening new schools in Bayview by paying for the buildings. Lennar and the Shipyard community fund can pay for school buildings as well as programs that fund their operations and hire quality teachers.

Smart development – We need to stop the housing overdose. District 10 already has the most affordable homes by Citywide standards. It’s time to focus on the rest of what makes a neighborhood great. That will attract back the people who moved out of District 10, and bring us as many jobs as jobseekers.

Citywide issues and solutions are:

Budget – We need revenue. Tourism is the biggest revenue generator in San Francisco, and smart land use policy can create tourist attractions in District 10, so let’s make some money with our gorgeous sunny waterfront. Beyond that, we need rainy days funds so that government spending can buffer swings in the private economy instead of magnifying them.

Transportation – A transit-first City has to fix transit first. New developments need more transit service, not cuts. We need balanced land uses in the southeast sector so that people can meet more of their needs within walking distance of their homes. District 10 also has a unique opportunity to alleviate street congestion by creating and promoting water transit along our Central and Southern Waterfronts.

Education – Only 8% of San Francisco households have children under 18. Renters are largely not required to help fund to our public education system. Our public school system is anemic and undervalued. We need to find new ways to fund schools, to attract families back to San Francisco and better serve our children.

9. What is your position regarding privatization in the public sector? Yes, I generally oppose privatization of essential government services, and I support transitional assistance for workers who lose their jobs due to globalization; however, I do not unequivocally oppose outsourcing of public or private sector jobs. Working people are also customers, and customers need to be factored into the equation too.

10. Do you favor the use of Project Labor Agreements in the public sector? Please explain your position. The fact that the private sector tends to use PLAs even more frequently than the public sector tells me that they are an effective way to manage and provide for a complex team of subcontractors, promote efficient resolution of disputes, and reduce overall costs for large projects. They are also a good vehicle for creating apprenticeships. I would therefore encourage both City agencies and private project sponsors to negotiate PLAs, particularly on large projects, and would of course seek to enforce PLAs once negotiated. I think it’s important to match each project with the right labor contract, so as with every policy decision, I am committed to practical solutions over hard and fast rules. Preserving flexibility is key.

11. What is your position regarding Sit/Lie? No, not as written. I believe we have a problem that needs to be addressed but I am not convinced that we can’t fix it by changing the General Order instead.

12. Do you believe San Francisco should be a Sanctuary city? I believe that immigration policy is a federal matter. To the extent that San Francisco can implement policies that respect federal jurisdiction over immigration, I can support them.
Jeff_W

Return to November 2010 General Election