janet@janetreilly.com
Web address:
http://www.janetreilly.com
Anticipated Budget:
TBD
Funds raised to date:
TBD
Percentage of donations under $50
Please write a brief response (less than 150 words) to each question. You will have additional
opportunities to address these issues.
1. Why are you running? Why should we vote for you?
I am running for District 2 Supervisor because I believe that a strong, functional government – more than
any institution – is the most effective place for citizens to join together to address serious problems and
achieve shared goals. I want to do my part to create an honest, collaborative government that works. My
top priorities as supervisor will be encouraging economic and job growth in San Francisco, reining in
and rationalizing our city budget, and protecting and enhancing the quality of life in our neighborhoods.
2. What sets you apart from your opponents?
Experience. I currently serve as First Vice-President of the Board of Directors for the Golden Gate
Bridge Highway and Transportation District. On that Board, not only do we oversee the policy for the
maintenance and operation of the bridge, but we also run a transit agency, consisting of buses and
ferries. Prior to my service on the Bridge Board, I was the manager of public relations for Mervyn’s
Department Stores, where I demonstrated that I could help run an organization for the good of its
customers and the entire community. I believe my experience in both the private and public sectors
and as a working mother gives me the broad prospective necessary for tackling the challenges at City
Hall.
3. San Francisco for Democracy is committed to grassroots involvement. Please explain how you
are involving ordinary citizens in your campaign?
I believe strongly that elected officials - and those seeking elected office - have a responsibility to
maintain close ties to the community they represent. My campaign for District 2 Supervisor has
been one grounded in grassroots support. The foundation of our campaign is people power; it
begins and ends with everyday citizens.
Over the last year, I have engaged residents across District 2 – listening to their concerns,
soliciting their ideas, and really trying to understand what they would like to see in their next
supervisor. I am out meeting commuters in the morning at the bus stops, in the afternoon walking
door to door, in their living rooms in the evening and everywhere in between.
Additionally, I have been organizing groups of volunteers for precinct walks meeting face-to-face
with District 2 residents in order to build a broad base of citizen support. These same volunteers
have also been central in assisting the campaign in maintaining a presence at a variety of
community events
As we move forward our reliance upon volunteers will become even more central to our
campaign’s success. It is through a large, energized base of volunteers that we will be able to
reach out to the thousands of District 2 residents and pave the way to victory in November and
for the good of the City.
4. San Francisco for Democracy endorses fiscally responsible and socially progressive candidates.
Please give examples of why you fit these criteria?
San Francisco has not been immune to the recession that has wreaked havoc on our nation’s
economy. Over the last ten years, we have lost nearly 90,000 jobs and last year, alone, 5,000
businesses closed their doors in our city. The Mayor and the Board of Supervisors recently
balanced a budget that was $483 million in deficit. And, the forecast for future deficits is bleak.
So, just as thousands of families throughout our nation have had to reassess their priorities, we,
as a city need to do the same. This will require long-term fiscal planning and discipline.
First of all, we must begin saving more money. For the last ten years, we have had a $25 million
budget reserve. That is less than 1% of our annual budget. The average city in this country has
a 15% reserve. We also must stop treating one-time windfalls, such as the proceeds from our
property transfer tax, as on-going revenue. I would much prefer to see these kinds of monies go
into one-time expenses like infrastructure and technology.
But, I truly believe the only way we will solve our budget problem is by solving our economic
problem. We need to particularly help our small businesses with access to capital and targeted
tax breaks where appropriate. In addition, San Francisco is perfectly poised to take advantage of
the industries of the future – bio-tech, clean energy, digital media and life sciences. We should be
doing everything in our power to lure these companies and industries to our city.
Over the last three years, I have been working on creating a health clinic in the Excelsior District
of San Francisco. Clinic by the Bay is part of a national network of clinics called Volunteers in
Medicine (VIM). These VIM clinics are specifically targeted at the working uninsured and are
run by retired doctors and nurses. As the co-founder of Clinic by the Bay and as president of the
board of directors I have conducted a needs assessment study, a feasibility study, created a
business plan, put together a board of directors, hired staff, obtained grants and seen this project
through from start to finish. I am thrilled to say, we will open this fall. Clinic by the Bay will
serve working people who currently fall through the cracks - even with the robust safety net that
we are all so proud of here in San Francisco.
5. What public safety strategies currently being implemented by the San Francisco Police
department do you agree, or disagree with? What will be your agenda regarding public safety, if
elected supervisor?
As a San Franciscan, I am proud of the changes that Chief Gascòn has made at the San
Francisco Police Department. His efforts in clearing the back log of discipline cases, reducing
officer overtime by historical amounts, and redeploying of inspectors from the Hall of Justice to
the neighborhood stations has helped to make San Francisco a safer city at a lower cost.
However, by far, the most significant change at the San Francisco Police Department has been
the implementation of CompStat. This program allows officers to be deployed in a dynamic
manner, in response to real time trends in crime statistics.
6. What do you believe is the correct percentage of units to be set aside for affordable housing,
when property is redeveloped? Please explain why you believe that percentage is correct?
I believe that development projects within San Francisco should try to accomplish three general
objectives: creating quality housing for our citizens, enhancing the quality of life in our
communities, and building and maintaining the infrastructure necessary for the future.
I believe our inclusionary housing policy in the city requiring developers to set aside 15% of their
development for affordable housing is fair. I understand this policy is currently in question due
to the Palmer decision in Los Angeles. We will have to work together to craft a new policy that
maintains the spirit of that law.
7. Public transportation is dysfunctional in the City and County of San Francisco. Do you agree
with that statement? If not, why? If so, what is your analysis of why it is dysfunctional? What will
you do to make public transportation functional if elected?
An effective and efficient public transportation system is a hallmark of any world-class city. San
Francisco is no different, and we must commit to keeping Muni affordable and running well. If
we’re to get people out of their cars, there must be a viable, reliable alternative. That means a
MUNI system that works an intelligent city-wide bike plan, walkable streets and transit-oriented
development when possible. I will continue to support BRT, which is slated to operate on the Van
Ness and Geary corridors. I believe BRT will encourage riders on public transit and produce a
better option to car travel.
Stabilizing and improving MUNI’s fiscal situation will be one of my top priorities. As First Vice
President of the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transit District, I have first-hand knowledge
of the challenges that confront transit agencies during times of economic duress. I believe that we
should focus on reforming MUNI in a way that will increase efficiencies and bring down the total
cost of service. For example, the recent audit of the SFMTA by the Budget and Legislative
Analyst identified $3,090,645 in estimated salary savings if the SFMTA would implement its
series of recommendations. We should take advantage of these types of efficiency savings
immediately.
8. What do you view as the top three issues in District 2? What are your solutions for these
problems? Do you believe these issues are consistent throughout the city? If they are not
consistent, what do you view as the issues outside your district that should be addressed in the
coming years? Do you have solutions for those issues?
• Being an active participant in negotiations for the proposed CPMC rebuild at
Cathedral Hill and the proposed uses of the other two CMPC campuses in District 2.
• Making sure the commercial corridors in District 2 are strong, vibrant, and in
character with the neighborhoods.
• Focusing on quality of life issues such as public safety, cleanliness, reliable transit,
and beautiful open spaces.
These particular issues hold significant meaning to District 2 residents. Indeed, the land use issues
related to CPMC and the vibrancy of the commercial corridors have elements unique to District 2.
However, I believe that residents citywide share many of the same concerns – whether dealing with public
safety, putting residents and businesses back to work during the economic downturn, to preserving San
Francisco’s incomparable network of parks and open spaces.
9. What is your position regarding privatization in the public sector?
I am generally not in favor of the contracting out of public services. However, I recognize the
fiscal constraints our city must address in the coming years. I will make every effort to preserve
the core services San Franciscans rely upon.
10. Do you favor the use of Project Labor Agreements in the public sector? Please explain
your position.
I am in favor of PLAs in the public sector. I am a strong advocate for all San Franciscans to have
the right to earn a living wage. San Francisco is an expensive place to live and raise a family and
there is no doubt that our City has seen the flight of middle class families in recent years. Project
Labor agreements help all San Franciscans earn a wage that will allow families to stay in our
city and prosper.
11. What is your position regarding Sit/Lie?
I support the proposed Sit/Lie initiative on the November ballot. I believe the parks and the
sidewalks of San Francisco are an important part of the public domain. The misuse of public
sidewalks impacts both our economy and our quality of life.
12. Do you believe San Francisco should be a Sanctuary city?
I support efforts that will allow all law abiding San Franciscans to be equal contributors to our
City. Everyone should be able to interact with their government and not live in constant fear of
immigration raids.
San Francisco for Democracy Questionnaire for Board of Supervisors
PAGE 2
Jeff_W

Return to November 2010 General Election