Web address:

http://www.votechrisjackson.com

Anticipated Budget:

$143,000

Funds raised to date:

$70,000

Percentage of donations under $50

39% under $50, 44% $50 or under

Please write a brief response (less than 150 words) to each question. You will have additional opportunities to address these issues.

1. Why are you running? Why should we vote for you?

I am running because I have the experience and vision to lead the community forward and improve our district for working families.

There is a real need for open and informed dialogue about the future direction of our district, with direct input from residents. District 10 needs a supervisor that is accessible and present, and one who has experience with the pivotal issues facing the district.

I hope to earn your support by demonstrating that my experience as an education advocate, a land use professional, and a progressive elected leader in San Francisco makes me the best choice for District 10 residents. If elected, I will continue to place a high priority on being available and active in my post. I respectfully ask for your support.

2. What sets you apart from your opponents?

In my capacity as a Trustee and Budget Chair for San Francisco Community College (CCSF), I have direct experience in crafting a budget, legislation and navigating the municipal process. I will bring that experience to City Hall as a Supervisor.

With District 10 poised to become the center of redevelopment in San Francisco for the foreseeable future, our next Supervisor must know the details of smart urban planning from the inside-out. My work in land use policy, much of it at the San Francisco Labor Council, has provided me a deep perspective on how best to utilize land use and redevelopment. Along with a coalition of labor, faith-based organizations and the broader community, I negotiated the Core Community Benefits Agreement for the BVHP shipyard redevelopment project, and fought to provide for the diverse needs of our communities here in District 10.

3. San Francisco for Democracy is committed to grassroots involvement. Please explain how you are involving ordinary citizens in your campaign?

My campaign is entirely grassroots. Numerous volunteers from all over District 10 and other supporters in San Francisco are out in all areas of the district, making phone calls, canvassing, and speaking to our neighbors about our collective vision for a better District 10. I recently submitted the signatures collected by myself and others, we had nearly 1,000. I truly owe our success to my supporters. I would be honored to add any and all interested SF4D members to our volunteer team.

4. San Francisco for Democracy endorses fiscally responsible and socially progressive candidates. Please give examples of why you fit these criteria?

As the Budget chair of CCSF, I am proud to have crafted a balanced $200 million budget that did not lay off one single teacher or front-line worker. In addition, I was able to save our $300,000 subsidy to City College’s Childcare Center, and with the Board, added 200 classes to CCSF’s roster, 50 at the southeast campus.

I will bring progressive values to the Board of Supervisors. I will prioritize services and programs that help the community while soliciting the input from all of my constituents. I will not balance a budget by resorting to fees that disproportionally impact the middle class. I will push for progressive revenue-generating measures that allow middle class families continued access to the city services on which they depend. Finally, I will prioritize smart development that stresses affordable housing, green, open public spaces, efficient public transportation and safe streets.

5. What public safety strategies currently being implemented by the San Francisco Police department do you agree, or disagree with? What will be your agenda regarding public safety, if elected supervisor?

I disagree with the current strategy of Gang Injunctions currently being implemented by SFPD. While I admire the goal behind them- removing the ability of known gang members to operate in a specific area, it is not the most effective strategy. The 141 people currently covered by injunctions do not identify all habitual violent criminals, nor did injunctions stop violent crime from occurring. In the Oakdale housing project- the gang injunction allowed younger, non identified men to assume positions of power in the gang structure, as well as made outreach programs to affected young men difficult because of the non-association rule.

Instead of looking for short-term solutions to long-term public safety problems, I will advocate for solutions in collaboration with the community, starting with expanded foot patrols and street lights in high-crime areas, and expanded in-language reporting centers. I also strongly view workforce development as a public safety issue.

6. What do you believe is the correct percentage of units to be set aside for affordable housing, when property is redeveloped? Please explain why you believe that percentage is correct?

San Francisco has an affordable housing problem, and as such, the amount of affordable housing needed is as much as possible.

In this tough economy, and taking into account the Federal, State and Local subsidies for affordable housing construction, affordable housing projects are actually currently easier to build, from both a process and profit perspective.

I will work with affordable housing advocates to reach a percentage per building that prioritizes strong working & middle class housing options. I do however want to note that the percentage of affordable housing should not be the only metric- as percentage alone does not specify the type of unit and many units designated affordable are studios or one bedrooms- hardly family friendly. I want to take the lead on affordable housing from a family perspective; including a priority placed on multi-bedroom affordable housing units, as well as protecting inclusionary zoning for all affordable units.

7. Public transportation is dysfunctional in the City and County of San Francisco. Do you agree with that statement? If not, why? If so, what is your analysis of why it is dysfunctional? What will you do to make public transportation functional if elected?

I agree that our transportation system is currently dysfunctional. The Third Street rail project has injected new life into D10's historic downtown area, but there are still neighborhoods in the district that are cut off from vital transportation hubs. My goal is to work with the city and MUNI to restore transit cuts and expand lines to more isolated areas, ensuring a thriving transit backbone for our district.

Citywide, my goal is to expand transit hubs, with an eye toward dedicated transit lanes, as well as working with MUNI to improve reliability in existing service. To be a transit first city, we must be able to depend on trains and buses arriving as scheduled.

I would also advocate for stemming the increase in rider costs. We cannot keep raising fares, particularly when we are cutting service.

8. What do you view as the top three issues in District 10? What are your solutions for these problems? Do you believe these issues are consistent throughout the city? If they are not consistent, what do you view as the issues outside your district that should be addressed in the coming years? Do you have solutions for those issues?

The top three issues in District 10 are:

* Affordable Housing- We need to go beyond traditional affordable housing funding, i.e. local, state and federal subsidies. In these tough economic times, these funding streams may not be available in the quantities necessary to provide enough affordable housing stock. We need to invest more energy in creating long-lasting affordable housing options, such as expanding our zoning for land trust and co-op housing.

* Safer Streets- I mentioned above my plans regarding creating a safer District 10 for the community.

* Economic development- I will advocate for policies providing tax incentives, diversified skilled worker training, and a community-based credit union to promote local job and business creation. I will also incentivize multi-sector industry growth to create job opportunities for people of all education levels, as well as push for a shift to an On the Job training workforce development model.

9. What is your position regarding privatization in the public sector?

Under no circumstance would I vote in favor of privatization. While the initial cost savings proposed by contracting out or privatizing services seem attractive to cash-strapped cities, once all the costs are added up contracting out has been proven in many instances to be more costly, particularly in the long to medium term. I have been consistent on this issue as the Budget Chair of CCSF, and will continue to be so as a member of the Board of Supervisors.

10. Do you favor the use of Project Labor Agreements in the public sector? Please explain your position.

Yes. I believe that Project Labor Agreements in the public sector ensure high worker standards and product quality. I also believe that we need to build in clear, negotiated and enforceable local hire provisions into our Public Project Labor Agreements to ensure that local residents benefit from development in their area.

11. What is your position regarding Sit/Lie?

I oppose Sit/Lie. While the concern surrounding public safety should never be trivialized, we have existing laws that, if enforced, give police the ability to ensure safe sidewalks. Additionally, one of the main reasons stated for the need for this law is the lack of enforcement of existing laws. If enforcement is truly the issue, then community policing, not another law, is the solution. I believe that this measure is a distraction from the real issues in this City, and that policies which affect the safety of our communities should always be focused on what works, not what sounds politically expedient.

12. Do you believe San Francisco should be a Sanctuary city?

Absolutely. I support sheriff's deputies respecting current Sanctuary City laws and oppose federalizing local law enforcement officers with respect to enforcement of federal immigration law. In areas with crime issues and a large immigrant population, federalizing law enforcement officers significantly deters undocumented members of the community from seeking help if they are victims of a crime or in trusting the police enough to provide help as witnesses.

I have marched with immigrants’ rights activists in support of our Sanctuary City laws and as Supervisor will continue use the platform that comes with my office to ensure our Sanctuary City policies remain and are enforced with respect to police interaction with the community.

With the Federal government unable to address the issue of immigration in a way that protects working class immigrants and families, I strongly believe that we need our Sanctuary city laws now more than ever.
Jeff_W

Return to November 2010 General Election