Web address:

http://www.mossfordistrict10.com

Anticipated Budget:

$143,000

Funds raised to date:

$94,000

Percentage of donations under $50

Roughly half.

Please write a brief response (less than 150 words) to each question. You will have additional opportunities to address these issues.

1. Why are you running? Why should we vote for you?

San Francisco, and District 10, is at a critical juncture. We face chronic budget deficits, high unemployment, a shredded safety net, crime hotspots, and a decline in student achievement. Yet, District 10 is poised to become the home of a new City, which could usher in greater economic prosperity, increased equity, and growing tax revenues.

San Francisco, and District 10, needs a supervisor that has the skills, courage, patience, and wisdom to help lead the way through these complex challenges. I have a quarter-century experience working on public policy issues, at the local, state, and federal levels. I’ve repeatedly and successfully taken on large economic and institutional interests, including Babcock and Brown and Pacific Gas and Electric Company. I have a head for governance. But my heart is firmly rooted in the community, as is evidenced by my work with San Francisco Community Power and the View, among other things.

2. What sets you apart from your opponents?

I have a ten-year record of service throughout the district that goes beyond advocacy. Since 2001, SF Power has worked in Bayview-Hunters Point, Dogpatch, Potrero Hill, and Visitacion Valley, helping low-income families and small businesses reduce their energy and water consumption, with concomitant economic and environmental benefits. The nonprofit has trained and employed dozens of District 10 residents.

I’m also the candidate with the most skills and experience in public policy and governance on a wide array of issues, including affordable housing, child care, land use, energy, and tax policies. While I haven’t been elected to office, I’ve been appointed to state and local committees or task forces; served as staff with the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB), U.S. Congress, and U.S. Treasury Department; analyzed hundreds of proposed policies on a wide range of topics; and teach in the public administration/policy programs at Mills College and SFSU.

3. San Francisco for Democracy is committed to grassroots involvement. Please explain how you are involving ordinary citizens in your campaign?

I’m dedicated to running a grassroots campaign, as evidenced by the fact that I’m the only District 10 candidate to secure 1,000 signatures to place my name on the ballot.

4. San Francisco for Democracy endorses fiscally responsible and socially progressive candidates. Please give examples of why you fit these criteria?

My first job after graduating from the Institute of Public Policy Studies, University of Michigan, was as a budget examiner with U.S. OMB. That experience gave me a firm basis in public finance, and a keen understanding of the need for fiscal responsibility. More recently, I’ve served as a budget advisor for the U.S. Treasury Department, counseling the governments of Niger – one of the world’s poorest countries – and Senegal about how to cost-effectively achieve their policy goals, which revolve around social and economic justice.

I’ve helped more than 20,000 small Bay Area businesses and low-income families in Southeast San Francisco conserve energy and water. There’s no more fiscally responsible and socially progressive act than training and employing unemployed community members to help hard-pressed families and struggling neighborhood businesses cost-effectively reduce their utility bills, putting money in their pockets, while providing tangible environmental and health benefits

5. What public safety strategies currently being implemented by the San Francisco Police department do you agree, or disagree with? What will be your agenda regarding public safety, if elected supervisor?

I support the police department’s increased use of statistical methods to target crime management efforts; as well as the police’s new initiative to place civilian monitors on MUNI. In general police efforts should complement other, broader, crime prevention initiatives, including related to education and training, job creation, and revitalizing underperforming commercial corridors.

6. What do you believe is the correct percentage of units to be set aside for affordable housing, when property is redeveloped? Please explain why you believe that percentage is correct?

I don’t have a well-informed opinion about the correct percentage of units to be set aside for affordable housing. San Francisco should maintain a robust effort to encourage the development of affordable housing, and to support the ability of working class families to remain in the City.

7. Public transportation is dysfunctional in the City and County of San Francisco. Do you agree with that statement? If not, why? If so, what is your analysis of why it is dysfunctional? What will you do to make public transportation functional if elected?

San Francisco’s public transportation system does not effectively provide its citizens with effective, affordable, transportation options. The City needs to improve the overall quality of its non-car transportation system. In this respect it should create a more diverse set of public transport options, instead of relying on two primary choices: fixed rail and accordion buses. San Francisco should move towards developing an information system matched with a diversity of transport modes – from shared cars, shared taxis, vans, buses, and biking – that increases access and improves transit’s overall experience and effectiveness. This should include an assessment of how (quasi) private transportation services – such as provided by the University of California, San Francisco, and high-technology companies ferrying their workers to Silicon Valley – can be leveraged to support public access. And the City should work to bring commuters home, by collaborating with their employers to open offices and production facilities in San Francisco.

8. What do you view as the top three issues in District 10? What are your solutions for these issues? Do you believe these issues are consistent throughout the city? If they are not consistent, what do you view as the issues outside your district that should be addressed in the coming years? Do you have solutions for those issues?

Jobs. There are multiple ways of spurring employment opportunities. Responsible development will create jobs as part of construction and the longer-term economic activity that’s engendered. City-sponsored training programs should always be linked to financially sustainable employment opportunities.

Youth and children. City funding that supports children and youth should be well-coordinated to ensure maximum benefits. Muni, Parks and Recreation, after-school and child care programs should be managed as a web of support to make sure that this population receives the services it needs. City leaders should play a larger role in encouraging wealthy residents to help pay for these initiatives.

Ensuring safe and peaceful streets. Jobs and effective youth engagement will help create safer streets. In some blocks (e.g., near the Potrero Hill water tower site; in parts of Portola) better lighting is needed. Catalyzing thriving commercial districts and active pedestrian traffic will create a more enjoyable and peaceful environment.

9. What is your position regarding privatization in the public sector?

Privatization is a policy tool that should be used in limited circumstances, and only when the public sector has the capacity to effectively regulate privatized services.

10. Do you favor the use of Project Labor Agreements in the public sector? Please explain your position.

I need to be further educated on this concept before rendering an opinion.

11. What is your position regarding Sit/Lie?

I haven’t yet made up my mind on this measure, though I’m leaning against. There’s clearly a problem with a lack of civility in certain areas of the City. And in Bayview-Hunters Point youth loitering can create conditions that result in violence. However, it’s not clear to me that sit-lie is an appropriate response to this issue, and that it won’t result in unintended adverse consequences. For example, sidewalks in Bayview-Hunters Point are also often used for peaceful gathering of neighbors, which is community-building and non-threatening.

12. Do you believe San Francisco should be a Sanctuary city?

Yes.
Jeff_W

Return to November 2010 General Election