number of independent expenditures. We’ve
qualified for public financing and will not break
the cap.
Funds raised to date:
$111,000
Percentage of donations under $50
Donations average 166, not sure of the
percentage under $50
Please write a brief response (less than 150 words) to each question. You will have
additional opportunities to address these issues.
1. Why are you running? Why should we vote for you?
What we need right now, and what I offer is experienced, results oriented leadership. For
the last 14 years, I've been working for the people of San Francisco. As a Special Assistant
to Mayor Willie L. Brown, Jr., I was the Liaison to District 8 where I made sure potholes were
filled, planning issues were handled, and garbage was picked up off the street. As the
Mayor's LGBT Liaison, I made sure every city body had LGBT representation on it. After
leaving the Mayor’s Office, I was appointed to the Recreation and Park Commission, where I
Candidate/Campaign Information:
Candidate name:
Rebecca Prozan
Contact person:
Jen Drake
Mail address:
584 Castro Street #660, San Francisco, CA
Telephone:
(415) 424-5638
Email address:
prozan@rebeccaprozan.com
Web address:
http://www.rebeccaprozan.com
Anticipated Budget:
Right now, 143,000. In flux, depending on the
number of independent expenditures. We’ve
qualified for public financing and will not break
the cap.
Funds raised to date:
$111,000
Percentage of donations under $50
Donations average 166, not sure of the
percentage under $50
Please write a brief response (less than 150 words) to each question. You will have
additional opportunities to address these issues.
1. Why are you running? Why should we vote for you?
What we need right now, and what I offer is experienced, results oriented leadership. For
the last 14 years, I've been working for the people of San Francisco. As a Special Assistant
to Mayor Willie L. Brown, Jr., I was the Liaison to District 8 where I made sure potholes were
filled, planning issues were handled, and garbage was picked up off the street. As the
Mayor's LGBT Liaison, I made sure every city body had LGBT representation on it. After
leaving the Mayor’s Office, I was appointed to the Recreation and Park Commission, where I
voted on parks that are important to the City, including the Eureka Valley Recreation Center,
Walter Haas, and Upper Noe Rec Center. I co-chaired Supervisor Bevan Dufty’s first
campaign and then served as his Legislative Aide, where I became even more adept at
solving the problems plaguing District 8 residents. Additionally, I managed Kamala Harris'
campaign for San Francisco District Attorney. I am currently on leave from the District
Attorney’s Office where I serve as an Assistant District Attorney and have handled cases
ranging from driving without a license to attempted murder.
San Franciscans for Democracy should support me because I bring experience combined
with a background in grassroots politics. I served as one of San Francisco’s Obama
delegates in 2008, managed and advised numerous local, state and federal campaigns and
initiatives. What we need right now is leadership – leadership that can reach across the
different mindsets of San Francisco and bring people together. That is what I offer.
2. What sets you apart from your opponents?
Experience: I have direct experience serving District 8 constituents and I know how to
make things happen at City Hall. I worked as the Special Assistant to Mayor Willie L.
Brown, Jr., was the Liaison to District 8. After leaving city hall, I was appointed to serve
on the Rec and Park Commission and then chose to continue my service to the public
as Bevan Dufty’s Legislative Aide and help those in need as a prosecutor. These
experiences make me intimately familiar with both the legislative and executive
branches of our city’s government, oversight as a Commissioner and a rank and file
perspective as a city employee. No other candidate shares this unparalleled record of
service to both the district and the city as a whole.
Common Ground: I have support from all of San Francisco’s spectrum as evidenced by the
endorsements of the Alice B. Toklas Democratic Club and the San Francisco Democratic
Party (second rank). Former Milk Club presidents and Alice B. Toklas co chairs are
supporting me as well. I secured these endorsements from my ability to bring people
together.
San Francisco for Democracy Questionnaire for Board of Supervisors
PAGE 1
3. San Francisco for Democracy is committed to grassroots involvement. Please explain
how you are involving ordinary citizens in your campaign?
What I’ve learned by staffing numerous elected officials is that one is only as good as the
information provided. Willie Brown still has his home number in the phone book to remain
accessible which is something I share. Anyone contacting the campaign is encouraged to
volunteer and once they have demonstrated the appropriate ability, can take on a leadership
position. Our staff consists of about 15 people and is growing on a daily basis. My motto
has always been: we all do windows, we all do floors, to do this, we need all the help we
can!
4. San Francisco for Democracy endorses fiscally responsible and socially progressive
candidates. Please give examples of why you fit these criteria?
As a recreation and park commissioner, I chaired the parks and planning committee where I
ran public meetings and made sure park bond funds were used effectively to renovate
numerous rec and park facilities in the district. Changing our city’s budget and spending
methods is critical to keeping our City afloat which is a key priority for me.
I was one of the first to support Barack Obama and led the northern California effort to
gather lgbt support on his behalf. I am opposed to the sit lie ordinance. I am a prosecutor
who believes passionately in restorative justice and have the endorsements of Lawyer’s
Committee for Civil Rights Lateefah Simon (id purposes only) and Sunny Schwartz of the
Resolve to Stop the Violence Project.
5. What public safety strategies currently being implemented by the San Francisco Police
department do you agree, or disagree with? What will be your agenda regarding public
safety, if elected supervisor?
I am a fan of Ingleside station model where they are devising new strategies to reduce crime
by increasing rank and file participation in management, using compstat as a tool to
effectively deploy police officers and foot patrol beats, mandating cops ride MUNI, creating
twitter and facebook pages so the public is more aware of what is happening on the street
and allowing folks to report crimes via text messages. My agenda will be to have all stations
using the same strategies. I am a supporter of Chief Gascon and have met with him about
different ideas to make our communities safer.
As a prosecutor I am very familiar with the criminal justice system and different
improvements that can be made. Increasing foot patrols, using the patrol specials,
extending the communities on patrol to different neighborhoods, getting information about
particular incidents to the community are just some of the ideas off the top of my head.
6. What do you believe is the correct percentage of units to be set aside for affordable
housing, when property is redeveloped? Please explain why you believe that percentage
is correct?
Never enough until everyone who wants to have an affordable home can purchase one. I
want to take 1100 foreclosed properties in San Francisco and turn them into affordable
homes for persons in need, as well as teachers, cops, and firefighters.
7. Public transportation is dysfunctional in the City and County of San Francisco. Do you
agree with that statement? If not, why? If so, what is your analysis of why it is
dysfunctional? What will you do to make public transportation functional if elected?
Well, it is malfunctioning. So I guess that’s a yes – the question is how are we going to
solve the years of neglect, infrastructure, union, equipment, and management. The easy
answer is to blame the drivers, but that does not explain the equipment and
infrastructure issues. As a Supervisor, I want to make sure every dollar is spent
appropriately and I will work to make MUNI more functional to that end. So, support Fix
MUNI Now is one step. Dealing with the budgetary issues and management issues is
another. I am proud to have the support of MTA President Tom Nolan and board
members Malcolm heinicke and Jerry Lee and will work with them on these issues to
make MUNI more functional.
One thing I did at a legislative aide was to implement neighbor input. The 37 corbett had
an unnecessary loop and residents made me aware of the situation. We notifed MUNI
as well as the neighbors, had a meeting, brought the changes to the MTA and led the
effort to make one bus more efficient. That’s the type of leadership I bring to this
position. I look forward to implementing these changes as a Supervisor – because I
know there are more out there.
And of course, I am a Fast Pass holder and ride it……
8. What do you view as the top three issues in District 8? What are your solutions for these
issues? Do you believe these issues are consistent throughout the city? If they are not
consistent, what do you view as the issues outside your district that should be addressed
in the coming years? Do you have solutions for those issues?
In 8? Economy, schools, transportation. I can’t solve the economy on my own, but I have
campaigned on helping small business through an event called Carrotmob. Our campaign
organized an event called Carrotmob to demonstrate our support of small business.
Carrotmob is the opposite of a boycott. Instead of punishing companies for doing bad things,
Carrotmob rewards businesses for doing good things. Bernies, a local cafe on 24th Street,
pledged to give back 40% of her profits towards investing in her store. We had to turn out
the mob of people to buy coffee. In three short hours, we increased the number of sales
seven times and more than quadrupled profits. In fact, Bernie made more in those three
hours than she usually does in an entire Sunday – and 40% of those profits will be
reinvested back into her business specifically to make the shop greener and more energy
efficient. And we introduced new people to shop, eat, and buy local on 24th Street.
Schools? Fight to stop the state cuts. Bring the principals from all the schools in district 8
together to problem solve and communicate. Organize an annual district 8 auction to help
the schools. The best way to improve the schools is to increase parent involvement and I
will promote that everyway possible.
Transportation – see above.
Development is a key issue for the City as always and is solvable on a case by case basis.
Of course, there are many, many others.
9. What is your position regarding privatization in the public sector? Oppose
10. Do you favor the use of Project Labor Agreements in the public sector? Please
explain your position.
I wholeheartedly support project labor agreements in public contracting. The most
successful PLAs are the PUC’s water bond project and the SFUSD labor
agreements. These negotiated agreements make sense for all parties.
11. What is your position regarding Sit/Lie? Not the answer to the problem it seeks
to solve.
12. Do you believe San Francisco should be a Sanctuary city? Yes, however those
convicted of a serious crime should not be permitted to stay in the United States.
Jeff_W

Return to November 2010 General Election