Email address:
info@dewittlacyforsupervisor.com
Web address:
http://www.dewittlacyforsupervisor.com
Anticipated Budget:
Funds raised to date:
Percentage of donations under $50
60%
Please write a brief response (less than 150 words) to each question. You will have additional opportunities to address these issues.
1. Why are you running? Why should we vote for you?
My number one priority is to ensure that working class people get a fair shake in this city. That means secure jobs, no roll back of services to seniors and the disabled, and safe communities for our neighborhoods. I will also seek specific guarantees that promises made to this community are kept.
2. What sets you apart from your opponents?
I have endured the same struggles as those of working class residents in District 10, which helps me better understand the needs and aspirations of my community. I am a Civil Rights Attorney and life long Democrat. Accordingly, I have a unique insight into the concerns of working class people and an ability to solve the problems they face. My legal skills and background serve as a navigator for the people of District 10, steering through complicated and convoluted legal and bureaucratic systems. My training prepared me to look at complex issues and come up with innovative solutions.
San Francisco for Democracy Questionnaire for Board of Supervisors
PAGE 1
3. San Francisco for Democracy is committed to grassroots involvement. Please explain how you are involving ordinary citizens in your campaign?
This campaign is a true grassroots campaign. Most of the donations are 50 dollars or below. We are not paying people to come out and support this movement to sustain San Francisco’s working class. Accordingly, we depend on ordinary citizens to phone bank, canvass neighborhoods, and help raise funds for the campaign. I am proud to say this campaign has been very successful and shows much promise in the future.
4. San Francisco for Democracy endorses fiscally responsible and socially progressive candidates. Please give examples of why you fit these criteria?
Most candidates will argue that our budgetary problems can be fixed by moving money around. While I agree some programs are definitely underfunded, the remedy isn’t always found in stripping a different and existing program of its funding. It was important to use money wisely to start grassroots organizations like the Bay Area Urban Debate League. Furthermore, my legal practice demands fiscally responsible decisions, especially in these economically trying times. Nonetheless, I have managed to continue socially progressive action with my practice advocating against discrimination, police brutality, and other civil rights violations.
5. What public safety strategies currently being implemented by the San Francisco Police department do you agree, or disagree with? What will be your agenda regarding public safety, if elected supervisor?
The Foot Patrol Pilot program has shown some promising results and I would definitely support such a program citywide, but especially in the crime laden areas of District 10. I do not like the practice of raids or harassment of nightclubs/bars where large numbers of immigrants can be found. I despise discriminatory practices and/or racial profiling and would not tolerate such a practice when elected supervisor. My agenda will focus on creating real partnerships between SFPD and community organizations.
6. What do you believe is the correct percentage of units to be set aside for affordable housing, when property is redeveloped? Please explain why you believe that percentage is correct?
Certainly, every development project in San Francisco should plan to include a meaningful percentage of affordable housing. However, it is difficult to designate a flat percentage for
all development projects. While larger projects can afford to have a larger percentage of units set aside for affordable housing, smaller projects cannot. The BVHP development project is a good example of a fair compromise of set aside for affordable housing at around 30%.
7. Public transportation is dysfunctional in the City and County of San Francisco. Do you agree with that statement? If not, why? If so, what is your analysis of why it is dysfunctional? What will you do to make public transportation functional if elected?
Our system of public transportation needs some major adjusting. Maybe some clean up of middle management positions that are not doing much. We cannot cut services and increase fares. That only hurts poor people.
8. What do you view as the top three issues in District 10? What are your solutions for these issues? Do you believe these issues are consistent throughout the city? If they are not consistent, what do you view as the issues outside your district that should be addressed in the coming years? Do you have solutions for those issues?
D10
Maintaining the diverse, working class neighborhoods, within District 10. This Supervisorial District cannot withstand another year of ineffective representation on San Francisco's Board of Supervisors (BOS). I cannot stress enough the importance of this seat on the BOS to stimulate the creation of sustainable careers and business opportunities for working class people. In addition, it is absolutely imperative that we maintain services for our most vulnerable populations. Without effective representation these root problems will continue to deteriorate the safety in our communities, and threaten the longevity of benefits promised by the Hunter's Point Shipyard, and other development projects.
City
Jobs. You cannot have a vibrant community without good jobs for working class families. We have to identify new streams of revenue to lessen the need to make difficult cuts in the city's budget. Transportation is the bloodstream of this city. More cuts to MUNI will only hurt the people who need it most. In addition, the need for new and increased affordable housing cannot be ignored. New developments must include affordable housing options.
9. What is your position regarding privatization in the public sector?
Opposed.
10. Do you favor the use of Project Labor Agreements in the public sector? Please explain your position.
Yes, it makes sure people get paid a fair living wage.
11. What is your position regarding Sit/Lie?
Opposed.
12. Do you believe San Francisco should be a Sanctuary city?
Yes.
Jeff_W

Return to November 2010 General Election